Speed dating glasgow over 40 Free dating sex sites no touching no credit cards free
It attracted some big name performers and particularly in the years after the Second World War when American stars including Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Dorothy Lamour, Jack Benny and Danny Kaye played to packed houses.
Perhaps a good way to start our journey down the Sauchiehall Street of yesteryear is with breakfast at Armstrong’s Hotel at the far eastern end of the street.
During the First World War, the building was purchased by the YMCA and it became their Hostel for Soldiers and Sailors.
After the war, the YMCA reopened the theatre as the Lyric Theatre.
( Postcard published by Judges Ltd., Hastings ) This Valentine’s photo was taken at the same location in 1932 and the ornate street lights have now been replaced by more utilitarian ones with a longer reach, providing better illumination over the roadway.
The sauchie haugh or willow meadow from which the street derives its name was probably a low-lying area located near what would later become Charing Cross.
It was widened in 1846 and then in the 1850’s some of the older buildings were replaced with tenements and in the 1870’s with commercial properties.
The 1896 Ordnance Survey map of Central Glasgow still shows some villas remaining on the north side of Sauchiehall Street in the section between Thistle Street and Scott Street.
To manage this growth in passenger numbers, work is now underway to create a spacious and accessible transport facility that has been carefully designed to be a positive and prominent addition to Glasgow’s historic George square. At this time an eight-floor office building - Consort House – was constructed along with an extension to the adjoining hotel.
In 2017 Network Rail secured powers, through the Transport and Works Scotland (TAWS) Act, to compulsorily purchase Consort House and the Millennium Hotel extension.