Chelmsford weekly news dating
As the town’s population increased, the demand for more retail spaces grew, and the arrival of department stores facilitated the absorption of many of the smaller businesses.
Observing the sites of 61-66 High Street on several Ordnance Survey maps, it was immediately obvious that a number of properties had been consolidated, demolished or rebuilt over time.
Using the first edition OS map of 1876 as a starting point, it is clear that large, department sized stores were not yet a standard feature of the high street.
Based on this map, we can see that properties in this section of the high street were small and packed closely together, perhaps the result of centuries of uncoordinated and sporadic development.
We are lucky that Chelmsford has been mapped and re-mapped several times over the centuries, enabling us to make comparisons over time, and to find traces of the medieval town in today’s High Street, even though no buildings from that period survive.
In this post we will show how we have used maps in this project to look at the detailed history of specific properties.
Whether these new, spacious retail establishments improved the overall appearance of the high street is open to debate.
Read, of Rutland Road, Chelmsford, was discharged from hospital yesterday after receiving treatment and was subsequently arrested.
Newsquest (Essex) Ltd is the leading publisher of regional newspapers in Essex - publishing a total of sixteen newspapers including daily, paid and free weekly titles.
In addition to newspapers we also publish a whole host of other publications from targeted monthly lifestyle magazines to other community led products.
The former Queen’s Head building has been demolished, and in its place a uniform, rectangular building has been erected.
The narrow passageway has been built over and now features as part of the sites of 61 and 62.
The Queen’s Head is still present, identifiable by the ‘PH’ for public house.